Thursday, December 9, 2010

"The internship at Otisville gave me a first-hand understanding of the United States' criminal justice system--and specifically, of the people who are arguably most affected by it and with whom I would otherwise have had a very limited opportunity to interact. The experience enhanced my education outside Vassar's classrooms, providing I and the other students with a more well-rounded, in-your-face reminder that life exists beyond our campus. It challenged me to go beyond off-campus institutions that are more easily accessible- and perhaps more widely accepted as "worth" visiting - than a correctional facility. Through participating in dialogue sessions with the inmates at Otisville, I formed some of the closest relationships I've made  in the past three-plus years at Vassar."
-Abby Raskin '11

No comments:

Post a Comment